Chapter 17 - Yuebai's Journal

 [Year of the Rat, 22nd of October, Drizzling Rain]


I've been reading "Miscellaneous Collection of Five Flavors," and I've decided to start recording my daily life. This way, when I, Jiang Yuebai, become renowned throughout the world, there will be deeds to be remembered.

Since my literary skills are lacking, I'll write in plain language for now, and when I'm well-versed in knowledge, I'll come back and refine and simplify it.

As for the year and month, I'll write as I please. The country name "Yun" doesn't sound good, and the recluse from Wufei Mountain didn't include year and month in his records, so I suppose it's not that important.

Yi Wood, Gui Water, Bing Fire, Wu Earth – I've already started cultivating the four techniques, and progress is acceptable. However, until I fully master all five techniques, my cultivation won't improve further. I might lag behind for a while.

Grandfather has also given me the remaining four spells all at once, increasing my learning load. Why is there only twelve hours in a day?

Grandfather's maxim: "Those who know others are wise; those who know themselves are enlightened. Those who conquer others are strong; those who conquer themselves are mighty!"

[Year of the Rat, 23rd of October, Sunny]

I studied at the library and attended lectures in the lecture hall. Practiced in the forest with the linen bag technique, and continued cultivation in Huaxi Valley!

I'm in a great mood today. I took a boat on the Ten-Li Slope and greeted the lantern monsters.

Grandfather's maxim: "Those who seek above will achieve in the middle; those who seek in the middle will achieve below; those who seek below will surely fail."

I've decided, Lu Nanzhi will be my goal to surpass in the future!

[Year of the Rat, 24th of October, Strong Winds]

Lu Nanzhi broke through to the fourth level of Qi Cultivation last night. I think grandfather was right. I shouldn't be overly ambitious and should be down-to-earth.

Now, Xie Jingshan is my target. By the spring of next year, I, Jiang Yuebai, will surely defeat Xie Jingshan!

Reading too much of the miscellaneous collection makes me a bit whimsical. I also want to ride a horse and travel the world with my sword.

Starting tomorrow, I'll memorize "Collection of Grass and Wood" and "Record of Strange Objects." I can't stop practicing cloud-seal and turtle-shell inscriptions.

Drawing symbols is the lowest-cost and easiest of the six arts of cultivation, and symbols are the source of myriad techniques. Once I master symbols, it will be easier to learn other things in the future.

Grandfather's maxim: "Accumulate soil to form a mountain; accumulate water to form a sea."

[Year of the Rat, 25th of October, Sunny Again]

I've entered the introductory stage of "Gui Water Technique" and started practicing the "Cloud and Rain Method."

The key points of the five techniques are as follows: the "Sharpness Technique" is about speed, the "Cloud and Rain Method" is about gentleness, the "Red Blaze Technique" is about fierceness, the "Earthquake Technique" is about stability, and the "Grass and Wood Technique" is about steadiness.

I'm recording this to avoid forgetting.

Practicing the hand seals in still water didn't feel enough, so I added some mud to make it into a paste. The sensation became smooth, and the resistance increased. I feel like I'm getting closer to grasping its rhythm.

When Lü Ying saw me playing with mud, she asked me not to be selfish and to seal the gaps in the walls of her family's courtyard.

Winter is approaching, and I must seal the gaps in the courtyard walls to prevent drafts.

Senior Sister Song Peier praised my sealing work and gave me a basket of eggs laid by the colorful silkie hens, asking me to give them to Grandfather as a supplement.

Grandfather's maxim: "Without merit, one does not receive emoluments; without virtue, one does not receive favor."

Note: I returned the eggs to her.

[Year of the Rat, 26th of October, Still Sunny]

During class today, I ran into Lin Suiwan. She told everyone that I'm her servant girl, said my hands and feet are unclean, and even called me a fledgling cuckoo from the kiln.

Everyone was gossiping behind my back, but Lü Ying told me not to mind. She said they laugh now, but it won't affect me.

Instead of getting angry, I should focus on practicing diligently. In the future, Lin Suiwan will have to call me Senior Sister.

For the first time, I feel that Lü Ying is quite wise.

I'm not angry, but I am annoyed that I forgot my linen bag. I must remember it tomorrow.

Grandfather was called by Jia Wei to work, and he didn't even eat. There was no maxim for today.

[27th of October, Reviewing lessons, practicing techniques, working with linen bags, slaying lantern monsters]

[28th of October, Reviewing lessons, practicing techniques, working with linen bags, slaying lantern monsters]

[29th of October, Reviewing lessons, practicing techniques, slaying lantern monsters, I want to eat scallion pancakes]

[30th of October, Frosty Morning]

The linen bag is torn, and it needs to be replaced. It seems I've slain all the lantern monsters, and Grandfather said they need a few days to recover.

My "Sharpness Technique" has broken through to the second layer. The time to form the technique has decreased from five breaths to four. The sharpness condenses like an embroidery needle, penetrating bricks and stones, and can last for three breaths.

Still, I'm far from reaching Grandfather's level, who can form the technique in one breath, and his sharpness can pierce through even magical tools.

Calculating from the second to the third layer, with my current progress, it will take a hundred days if I exert my full effort ten times a day.

Based on this, reaching the fourth layer may require a thousand days?

As my cultivation improves, my spiritual energy increases, so I'll need to practice more times per day to shorten the time.

Grandfather says that most techniques reach the peak at the fifth layer, and after the pinnacle of the second layer, each breakthrough will have a barrier that requires enlightenment.

Song Peier couldn't break through to the third layer because she couldn't comprehend the barrier.

I'm not worried about not comprehending it. I'm very curious about what it's like to reach the peak of a technique at the fifth layer.

Grandfather says it's very difficult, and lower-level techniques like this one aren't worth the effort to reach the peak.

But I want to try.

Elder Li praised my intelligence, so I'm sure I can do it.

Speaking of which, I've noticed that I'm being targeted by someone.

Whenever Senior Li gives a class, both Lu Nanzhi and Xie Jingshan appear, and they always keep an eye on me.

I arrive early to study before class, and they also arrive early to study. After class, when I stay behind to review, they don't leave either. When I go to the book depository, they also go there, and whatever book I read, they make copies of it.

They must be trying to find something to use against me and suppress me. They are going too far!

I am just one step away from mastering the 'Earth Technique' (戊土功), then I will be able to fully learn the 'Five Elements True Return Technique' (五行归真功) and work hard to improve my cultivation.

I, Jiang Yuebai, don't fight with girls. I will let Lu Nanzhi off for now. I will first deal with Xie Jingshan and trap him in a sack!

Grandfather's maxim: 'A gentleman takes revenge ten years later, while a petty person seeks revenge from dawn to dusk.' (The second part is crossed out)

Note: I am not a petty person, I am not!

[Year of the Rat, October 31, Overcast]

Today, before Senior Li's class, Lin Suiwan instigated an outer disciple to bully us several miscellaneous female cultivators.

Lü Ying protected me and got injured. I was about to make a move when Xie Jingshan used a huge fireball from his head to blow up the old tree in the lecture hall. The outer disciple wet his pants, and Lin Suiwan got scared.

I now realize that I must have wrongly accused Xie Jingshan before. He wasn't targeting me. He even got punished and sent to the Yin Wind Abyss to face the wall. I shouldn't add more trouble to him.

I'll wait for next spring to deal with him.

Also, Lü Ying said that Xie Jingshan might have a crush on her, that's why he was trying to save her.

I feel... as long as Lü Ying is happy, that's all that matters.

Feeling frustrated today, I want to talk to the Lantern Monsters in the Ten Li Slope.
Grandfather was called by Jia Wei to do some work, so there's no saying from him, just coughing.
Note: When will I be able to help Grandfather with his work and share some of the burden?

[November 1, Back to studying, practicing, boxing the sack, killing Lantern Monsters]
[November 2, Back to studying, practicing, boxing the sack, killing Lantern Monsters]
[November 3, Back to studying, practicing, the Lantern Monsters are gone again, I want to eat osmanthus wine steamed buns]

[Year of the Rat, November 4, Strong wind]

Today, there is good news. Ancient Spring True Immortal and Yu Qiuchi senior uncle returned victorious from the expedition to defeat the drought fiend. The sect rewarded them with the sound of bells, and everyone in the sect is overjoyed.

They also gave each of us miscellaneous disciples a bun from the eatery, made with spiritual wheat, and filled with monster meat. It's delicious!

Yu Qiuchi Senior uncle hunted those monsters himself on the way. He is really handsome, kind-hearted, and powerful.

I told Grandfather that I want to be like Yu Qiuchi senior uncle in the future, to cultivate successfully and exterminate all the demons in the world, bringing benefits to all living beings.

So that the disaster of my Jiang family village will never happen again!

Grandfather's maxim: 'Not climbing a high mountain, one does not know the height of the sky; not overlooking a deep abyss, one does not know the thickness of the earth.'

Note: Today's maxim is a bit strange; it feels like Grandfather is scolding me.

[Year of the Rat, November 5, Light snow]
Yesterday, there was joy, and today, there is sorrow. I finally understand what Grandfather meant yesterday.

Yu Qiuchi senior uncle's party of five, including Ancient Springs True Immortal leading them, returned with only Yu Qiuchi senior uncle and Ancient Springs True Immortal.
Ancient Springs True Immortal was seriously injured. Yesterday's celebration was to prevent the demoralization of the sect's disciples, and today they buried the deceased disciples in the Yin Wind Abyss, next to the Meteor Valley.

I can't go to the Meteor Valley, so I can only go to the Ten-LI Slope at night to burn some yellow paper for them and thank them for avenging my father, mother, and younger brother.
If there is reincarnation in the underworld, I hope their souls will return on the day when spring flowers bloom

Also, I suddenly have doubts. Since it only takes a dozen days for the Tianyan Sect to travel to and from Lin'an County to slay the drought fiend, why has the drought fiend been causing trouble in Lin'an County for three years?

Above the Golden Core True Immortal, there is the Yuanying True Monarch. Why didn't they send the Yuanying True Monarch to kill the drought fiend? Why must they send Foundation Building disciples to die?

I asked Grandfather, and he only said that I'm still new to the path, and when I reach the Foundation Building stage, I will understand naturally.

Grandfather's maxim: 'The ignorant are fearless, and those without ability have no limits.'

Note: Here, the law refers to the rules of the cultivation world or the laws of heaven?

[Year of the Rat, November 6, Heavy snow]

The temperature dropped sharply at midnight, making it too cold to meditate and cultivate. It feels like the gloomy aura of the ghost lamp has invaded my body and makes me feel uncomfortable.

The snow is particularly heavy this year, and it came earlier than usual.

I have already learned all five cultivation techniques, but the circulation of the Grand Circulating System (大周天运转) is still not smooth is still not smooth.

Yesterday, after class, I consulted Senior Li. I have understood about eighty percent of the Five Elements Cycle (五行轮转). Senior Li advised me to try building the Five Elements Cycle Bridge in a place with abundant spiritual energy.

Because this is related to enlightenment, the first understanding will receive the favor of the heavenly dao, and a large amount of spiritual energy will enter the body, causing a rapid increase in cultivation.

Grandfather also said that the initial connection of the Grand Circulating System in the "Five Elements Return to True Technique" requires a large amount of Five Elements spiritual energy. He mentioned taking me to the cultivation room for closed-door practice, which costs three low-grade spirit stones a day.

With one low-grade spirit stone, I can eat three meat and vegetable meals at the eatery or buy ten catties of spirit rice for twenty days.

Grandfather must be crazy! There's no way I'm going to the cultivation room!

Today, there is no saying from Grandfather. I won't listen, I won't listen, I'm chanting like a turtle.

Attached: A crooked picture of a turtle reciting sutras.

[Year of the Rat, November 7, Heavy Snow]

The cultivation room is so comfortable!

Table of Contents | Next Chapter

Tl note: I want to give my thanks to the novelupdates staff for helping me in migrating my site.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 20: The Bus Door Opens

Chapter 1: You Can't Blame Her

Chapter 1 - The Battle for Immortal Dao