Chapter 34 - Offense (Part 1)

"You've been practicing 'Grass and Wood Technique' for so long just to get the hang of it, and you want me to praise you? I don't expect you to master a second-level spell right away, but could you at least try a bit harder? I suggest you don't bother going to the Hall of Dharma. It's a waste of time!"


After finally getting the hang of "Grass and Wood Technique" today, Lu Ying went to find Song Peier, only to be met with a scolding.


Even though Jiang Yuebai was the second person in Huaxi Valley to successfully learn a spell, there was no longer anyone praising or encouraging her.


Feeling wronged, Lu Ying carried a burden that nobody understood.


She went out alone to clear her mind and, upon reaching the valley entrance, saw Jiang Yuebai chatting and laughing with Shi Xiaowu. It made Lu Ying feel even worse.


"Lu Ying, wait!"


Jiang Yuebai stepped forward and grabbed Lu Ying's sleeve, but she shook Jiang Yuebai's hand off with a stern face.


"Sorry!" Jiang Yuebai shouted to stop Lu Ying from leaving. "I spoke harshly and hurt your feelings that day. I apologize to you."


Lu Ying paused in her tracks, feeling a bitter and uncomfortable sensation in her heart.


Jiang Yuebai took out a long wooden box, opened it, revealing a translucent and warm jade hairpin with a pleasant fragrance.


"This is specially chosen for you—'Warm Jade, Fragrant Life.' It refreshes and brightens your spirit. Please accept this as an apology. Can you forgive me?"


"Who needs your apology? I don't want your pity!"


Lu Ying swatted the wooden box out of Jiang Yuebai's hand, and the jade hairpin flew out, hitting a stone by the side of the path and snapping in two.


Jiang Yuebai clenched her fist, while Shi Xiaowu stood at a distance, biting into a chicken leg, his face full of fear.


After a while, Jiang Yuebai smiled first, "If you don't like the hairpin, it's okay. I have some spiritual stones. If you want something, just tell me, and I'll buy it for you."


Lu Ying's eyes turned red, "I want you to disappear and never show up in front of me again!"


Jiang Yuebai looked puzzled, "What did I do wrong? Why do you hate me so much?"


"Yes, I really dislike you. I despise your pretentious acts of pitying and helping me, showcasing your greatness in front of me, and making everyone compare me to you!"


"Aren't you the same?"


Jiang Yuebai asked coldly, leaving Lu Ying trembling.


"Back then, I was the lowest in Huaxi Valley, and you were the highest. With so many people around, why did you choose to be friends with me? Are you without any ulterior motives? Do you think I'm stupid? You just wanted to use me to highlight your excellence, your goodness, right?"


Lu Ying was intimidated by Jiang Yuebai's presence, trembling with guilt.


"You... You have the ability, why don't you go be friends with Lu Nanzhi and the others? Do you think they'll respect you, a menial disciple?"


"So, you look down on me, and you assume everyone else does too? Grandpa was right. Others might accept my shortcomings and show me pity from a higher position, but they can't stand to see me having even a hint of goodness. You're just that type of person. I was wrong about you!"


After saying that, Jiang Yuebai turned and left, her wide sleeves brushing against her face, her determination evident.


Lu Ying stared at the snapped jade hairpin on the ground, her face pale, her body cold.


"I'm not... I didn't..."


Lu Ying covered her face and cried bitterly.


Shi Xiaowu looked at Lu Ying and then at the departing Jiang Yuebai, standing at a loss in the same spot.


Jiang Yuebai was filled with irritation and anger as she walked back to her courtyard, only to find the gate wide open.


"Old Tao, are you not giving me any face, or are you not taking my sister and Elder Lin seriously? I've only been gone for a few days, and you've let my twenty mu of spirit fields go to waste?"


"Cough, it was due to the snow disaster, cough cough. The old man was helpless."


Jiang Yuebai's heart trembled as she stepped into the courtyard. She saw Tao Fengnian, pale and bloodless, sitting at the stone table, struggling to breathe and clutching his chest. Jia Wei stood with crossed arms, his gaze sinister and intimidating.


"What are you doing!"


Jiang Yuebai dashed to Tao Fengnian, shielded him with open arms, and glared at Jia Wei.


At noon when they parted, her grandfather was still in good health and high spirits. Yet in half a day, he looked like he was on the verge of death. Jia Wei must have bullied him again.


"Yatou, go back inside!"


Tao Fengnian's voice was weak, and he struggled to breathe.



Tao Fengnian struggled to pull Jiang Yuebai, who stubbornly stood her ground.



Jia Wei's gaze turned harsh, "If you don't want to die, then get lost!"



"It's you who should get lost! You constantly make my grandfather work for you every few days. This matter is all because of you. Moreover, my grandfather is the head of Huaxi Valley, while you're just a disciple of the lowest rank. Injuring my grandfather will lead to punishment according to the sect's rules!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 20: The Bus Door Opens

Chapter 1: You Can't Blame Her

Chapter 1 - The Battle for Immortal Dao