Chapter 40: Ruthlessness

Jiang Yuebai had initially intended to buy some time, but unknowingly, she became engrossed in the story of Ye Shiming and Lin Jingyue.

However, from the very beginning, she had a feeling.


A female general of Yun Nation, an undefeated war goddess... Could it be the same as the Five Flavors Mountain Hermit?


"Seeing a beauty, one cannot forget her; a day without seeing her and one thinks of her like crazy."


Tears welled up in Ye Shiming's eyes, his tone filled with sorrow and despair.


"I returned victorious, but my father smiled his last breath, blaming me for letting the tiger return to the mountains. My mother followed him to the grave. In the vast Night Mansion, I was left alone, unable to forget her."


"One year later, on a spring day, both Yun Nation and Cang Nation went to war again. The Cang Emperor ordered me to lead a hundred thousand troops into battle. It was on that night that I received a letter from her. For an entire year, I wrote hundreds of letters, and she finally responded for the first time."


"The letter had only one sentence. She said, 'The spring grass is flourishing, will you marry into my family?' I was overjoyed and led the army into battle. But Lin Jingyue, why did you lie to me?"


The deafening shouts and killings echoed across the ancient plain. Jiang Yuebai saw the flames of war, the two armies fighting, and horses leaping over her head only to be pierced by spears from behind, blood flowing like rivers.


"Lin Jingyue, come out! Come out and see me!"


Riding on his horse, Ye Shiming fought fiercely, his sabre encircled, and he fell from his horse. His hair was disheveled, his body covered in bloodstains. With all his strength, he fought his way out, the bodies piling up under his feet.


Arrows rained down, piercing through bones and hearts, but Ye Shiming refused to fall until a Yun Nation general thrust a long spear through his body.


"Lin Jingyue is dead, if you want to find her, go with her to the afterlife!"


With a squelching sound, the long spear was pulled out, and blood spurted out. Ye Shiming finally fell into a sea of corpses, gazing at the setting sun in the sky, tears in his eyes.


"Lin Jingyue, even if you lied to me, I don't hate you. I am ashamed before the Emperor, the people, and my clan, but I don't regret it. I only regret not being with you."


Jiang Yuebai's heart trembled, and she instinctively touched the "Collection of Five Flavors" hidden in her robes.


The nightmare shifted, returning to the original battlefield. Ye Shiming, now a vengeful ghost, looked at Jiang Yuebai with resentment and sorrow, slowly approaching her.


"I wanted to find her in the afterlife, to be together in reincarnation as an ordinary couple. But the deep resentment of the hundred thousand soldiers and the suppression of the immortals trapped me here."


Dark mist oozed from Ye Shiming, carrying a heavy chill, as he approached Jiang Yuebai.


A thousand-year grudge, something she couldn't handle with her third-level cultivation, forced Jiang Yuebai to retreat step by step.


"She had feelings for me, but she couldn't keep her promise due to the persecution of villains in Yun Nation. She must be waiting for me in the underworld."


"I've endured here for a thousand years and finally broke through the seal, but I failed to suppress the resentment of the hundred thousand soldiers. The revelation of the snowstorm disaster has exposed my location. Those self-righteous immortals will find this place, and I can't wait any longer."


The black mist transformed into a long spear, and Ye Shiming's bloodshot eyes twisted with malevolence.


"I wanted to find an old man about to die, but only you appeared frequently here. Both of your companions have treasures to protect themselves, and I have no more time. I can only kill you to complete the number of a hundred thousand, then I can free myself."


In the blink of an eye, Jiang Yuebai took out the book from her robes.


"Killing me won't help you find her!"


Ye Shiming froze in place, his bloodshot eyes locked onto the words "Five Flavors" on the book.


"Jingyue, do you have a courtesy name?"


"Me? My courtesy name is Wuwei."

TL Note: Wuwei translates to Five flavors. Traditionally, Chinese Culture classifies food into five flavors: salty, spicy, sour, sweet, and bitter.


Jiang Yuebai forced herself to remain calm and quickly said, "If the 'Five Flavors Mountain Hermit' in the book is indeed Lin Jingyue, then she not only didn't die but also embarked on the path of immortality. At this moment, she has already transformed into a deity and left this realm for somewhere else, and..."


Jiang Yuebai swallowed hard, "And her feelings for you are not as deep as you think. Your intense resentment towards her has had no effect. It's better to release your obsession and free yourself."


"Nonsense!" Ye Shiming erupted in anger, and suddenly, the mutilated corpses around Jiang Yuebai burst open, with blood and flesh flying everywhere.


Trembling and huddled, Jiang Yuebai took out the book she had read before and opened it.


"You claim to feel guilty toward the emperor, the people, and your clan, yet you don't regret a thing. The great Dao is heartless, and you walk alone, severing earthly ties..."


Each word pierced Ye Shiming's heart, causing his entire body, shrouded in black mist, to tremble, and he staggered backward.


"Guilty but not regretful? The great Dao is heartless, and all earthly ties severed?" Ye Shiming felt as if he had been struck by lightning. His thousand-year-long determination and beliefs crumbled in an instant.





All the past memories were vivid as if they had happened yesterday, but behind all the warmth was the stark reality of blood-soaked blades.


"Lin Jingyue, it turns out that the hundred thousand soldiers died in vain, and you even counted me among them. I was the last one."


*Boom!*


Thunder roared, and black clouds surged.


In an instant, the decaying corpses turned into dry bones, flesh and blood became mud and soaked into the earth, and the once luxuriant grass turned crimson.


The heavens and earth cracked and trembled incessantly.


"Ye Shiming, you deserve to die..."


"Ye Shiming, give me back my life..."


"Ye Shiming, You are so unjust!!"


One hundred thousand tormented souls wept blood, and a surging black mist rose from the desolate bones, transforming into blades, spears, and swords that pierced Ye Shiming from all directions.


The sound of sharp weapons piercing flesh was unending, resembling endless torture. Ye Shiming was gradually corroded by the resentment, his eyes turning bloodshot, and his skin and flesh falling away to reveal stark white bones.


A chilling cold penetrated Jiang Yuebai's body, and she felt her blood congealing, her dantian's qi unable to rotate, her body slowly covered in frost.


"Ye Shiming, you've already caused the death of a hundred thousand soldiers. There's no need to involve me in your vendetta. I have nothing to do with your grievances. Let me go!"


Facing the howling gale, Jiang Yuebai shouted loudly.


Ye Shiming showed no reaction, and Jiang Yuebai's thoughts raced.


"Ye Shiming, I am also a cultivator. I can help you find Lin Jingyue, tell her about what happened here, and convey the depth of your feelings for her. Just let me go."


Tears welled up in his bloodshot eyes, and the black mist continued to envelop him. He struggled to raise his hand, a silver radiance colliding with his forehead and pushing her out of the dream.


The black mist once again grew restless and completely devoured Ye Shiming.


In the desolate land, the chilling wind blew, the grass was stained red, and white bones covered the ground.


The silver-armored general no longer existed, and a long spear stood beneath the blood-red setting sun. The green palace lantern hanging from the spear was blown away by the wind, with nowhere to go.


Jiang Yuebai took a deep breath and woke up, finding herself in a cave, holding a firewood knife. In front of her was Lu Nanzhi, whose arm was stained with blood.


"There's danger here. Let's leave first."


The earth trembled, and giant rocks rolled down.

The mountain was about to collapse!



Table of Contents | Next Chapter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 20: The Bus Door Opens

Chapter 1: You Can't Blame Her

Chapter 1 - The Battle for Immortal Dao